Whenever I go into my local supermarket, I like to peruse the aisles to see if I can find anything new or things that I have not tried before. I always treat myself to one thing, and this time I spotted Vivera veggie bacon pieces.
I could have made a carbonara with this bacon but I wanted to try something that I had not made before. That’s when I started thinking back to the bakeries in Japan.
Although it may not be the first thing people think of when they think of Japan, the bakeries are one of Japan’s best-kept secrets! I remember having (before I went vegan) very soft and delicious bread rolls with bacon and chunks of cheese and wondered if I could create something similar.
I threw the filling ingredients into this recipe without much thought, (I thought maybe I added too much sweetcorn), but was very pleased with the outcome.
The recipe doesn’t require muffin cases, you just have to butter the muffin pan and they’ll pop right out!
These muffins are delicious and could be eaten for breakfast, lunch or as a quick snack. They can be eaten just as they are but I found an even better way to eat them was by halving them, popping them in the toaster and eating them with a spread of butter.
What you’ll need
Vegan cheese (I used Violife’s original flavour block)
Tin of sweetcorn
Bacon (I used Vivera veggie bacon pieces)
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
6 tbsp hot water
360g plain flour
2.5 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground pepper
A pinch of garlic powder
1 tsp dried thyme
2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
220ml plant-based milk
90g grated vegan cheese
175g Vivera veggie bacon pieces
1 tin of sweetcorn (about 325g)
- Create a flax egg by mixing ground flaxseeds with hot water. Stir and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease your muffin tin.
- Cook your bacon, following the package instruction.
- In a bowl combine all your dry ingredients, (flour, baking powder, salt pepper, garlic powder, dried thyme), and stir.
- Add all the wet ingredients to the bowl of dry ingredients, (flax egg, oil, milk). Mix until fully combined.
- Add in the grated cheese, the tin of sweetcorn and the bacon, and combine to make sure it is evenly distributed.
- Using a spoon, put the mixture in the muffin tin and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Enjoy on its own or cut them in half, put them in the toaster and enjoy with a spread of butter!
- Make half the flour wholemeal to have a slightly healthier muffin.
Recipe by Nadia Konno