I’m currently obsessed with The Great British Bake Off, not only is it a wholesome programme but I get a lot of inspiration watching it. So when I discovered Junior Bake Off was on catch-up, I binged watched them! (What else was I supposed to do during lockdown?!)
On one of the episodes, they made baked donuts which only made me want to go and make some! Off I went onto Amazon and ordered myself some silicone moulds, and then I looked on the world wide web for an easy donut recipe.
I discovered one on LovingitVegan (one of my go-to sites!), I used their donut recipe and had fun with the toppings!
The recipe was super easy and quick to bake. The only fiddly thing was having to pipe it into the moulds. Of course, you could try putting it in the moulds your own way, but for it to be neat and even I would recommend using a piping bag.
For the toppings, I wanted to experiment and try three different flavours:
1. Sea salt chocolate and rainbow sprinkles.
I used Aldi’s sea salt chocolate bar, melted it and dunked the donut in the melted chocolate. You have to put the sprinkles on before it sets for them to stick. Once the chocolate sets, it gives the top of the donuts a nice and contrasting crunch. (imagine like choc ice, soft on the inside, crunchy on the outside
2. Cream frosting with chocolate sprinkles
Icing sugar and cream, add and mix until you get the desired consistency. Dunk the donuts and sprinkle! A lovely sweet and creamy donut topping
3. Cinnamon sugar
A classic donut flavour! Melt some butter. In a separate bowl, mix in together sugar and cinnamon. Dunk the donut in the butter, then in the sugar and cinnamon mix. Voila!
What’s your favourite donut flavour?
I now want to experiment with so many different flavour combinations! I would love to get inspiration!
Baked vegan donuts – 3 waysCourse: Treats, Dessert
Super simple, quick bake, delicious baked donuts!
190g (1 and 1/2 cups) All Purpose Flour
150g (3/4 cup) White Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
180ml (3/4 cup) Soy Milk
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 tbsp Applesauce
5 tbsp Vegan Butter (Melted)
- Preheat the oven to 180C (350F). Prepare two donut trays by spraying them with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix together.
- Add the soy milk, vanilla, applesauce and melted butter and whisk in, removing any hard lumps.
- Place the donut batter into a piping bag and pipe it into the donut moulds evenly or use a spoon (it can get messy).
- Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned on top.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring the donuts to a wire cooling rack.
- Allow to cool completely before applying the topping.
Donut recipe by lovingitvegan