I’m sure most people by now have seen the seitan chickn’ (currently known as tiktok chicken) making its way round the internet.
In basic terms, it’s just flour and water….
I’ve known of seitan for a while and i’m even in the seitan appreciation society facebook group but I only got the courage to try it after I saw how easy that viral video made it look.
First attempt was an absolute fail, it tasted like a dense chewy floured mess, (turns out I hadn’t washed it enough) but I was determined to make it work.
So I did my research, watched many videos, blog posts, and this is what I got.
I did the WTF method, known as “Wash The Flour”. I will be going over the seitan making process in another blog post soon because I want to make sure it’s in depth with lots of details and pictures.
For now I wanted to share the end product using the seitan chickn’, BBQ chickn’ fajitas with homemade tortilla wraps.
What you’ll need:
x1 Red onion
x1 Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
x1 Tin of sweetcorn
Pre-made seitan chickn’
WTF BBQ Chickn’ FajitasCourse: Food, Mains
1 Red Onion
1 Tin of chopped tomatoes
1 Tin of sweetcorn
1 tbsp of ketchup
1 tsp Brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp Hickory seasoning powder
1 1/2 tsp BBQ seasoning powder
Pre-made seitan chickn’ shreds
- Slice your peppers (I chose red and green) and thinly cut your onions.
- In a pan add some oil and fry the onions until transparent.
- Add in your peppers and cook them for a few minuets. (We still want a slight crunch at the end).
- Add in your tinned tomatoes, sweetcorn, and the chickn’
- Now add in your seasoning powders, sugar and ketchup and give a good mix so it all combines.
- Cook till everything has heated through and the liquid has reduced.
- Place on a tortilla wrap, enjoy with a spread of mayonnaise and or cheese!
Recipe by Nadia Konno